|Sri Pataladri Narasimha Temple|
Singaperumal Koil is over 1,500 years old, which is neither a village nor
a city. It has a famous Narasimha temple which is very ancient.
Narasimha one of the incarnations of Vishnu, who is half-man
and half-lion. It is also known as the Pataladri Temple, because
here Narasimha is in his Ugra Roopa. The legend has it that
at the request of Sage Jabali, Narasimha, Singaperumal or
the Lion God, manifested himself immediately after he packed
off Hiranyakashyapu to the nether world.
The Lord even now gives darshan to the devotees in the same
form with four hands, two of them holding Sudarsana and Panchajanya
and the third in "Abaya Hastha" pose with the fourth
pointing towards the earth. Found in sitting posture the Lord
has three eyes, and wears the Salagrama and Sahasranama garlands.
The Goddess here is known as Ahobilavalli.
What is so unique about this Lord in Singaperumal Koil? Here
he proves to the Universe that both Hari and Hara is one and
the same and not separate. Here the Lord has a Third Eye,
like Rudramoorthy and every time the temple priests perform
the Arathi or Deeparadhana, the Namam of Narasimhaswamy is
lifted up for the devotees to have a darshan of the Third
In the Narasimha Avatara, Mahavishnu destroyed evil, and it
is believed by both the Vaishnavaites and the Saivites that
if one gets the darshan of the Third Eye, all misery in life
would be removed. It is a beautiful temple, on a hillock, with the fairly large
idol carved out of a single red coloured boulder. The Pataladri
Narasimha-swamy is almost 8 feet tall, and red faced.
Since the idol is part of a boulder and the hillock, if one
needs to circumambulate one need to do the girivalam meaning
go around the hillock. As in most other temples of Tamilnadu
there is also a wish-fulfilling tree, the Mandapa and the
So, you have had a darshan of the Lion God, you have done
the girivalam and now you start feeling hungry. Do not despair.
The prasadam here is dosa, and podi, sold inside the temple
premises. Have your fill, pay them the cost and both your
mind and stomach is filled. One with food and the other with
According to the Vaishnava Sampradaya, there are about 13
other Sannidhis for Sri Narasimha Perumal in Tamilnadu besides
Singaperumal Koil. A number of them are part of the 108 Divya
Desams or are in one of the Divya Desams.
Tirukkachur has two temples - one in the middle of the village
which is 2.5 km from the railway station, and another a kilometer away
in the West, on top of a hillock. The former is called Kizhkoil, Kachabesam.
The presiding deity is Kachabeswarar and his Consort is Anjanakshi, Umaiammai
and Sundaravalli. The latter is the Marundeeswarar temple. The God and Goddess
in the hill-temple are Marundeeswarar and Irulneeki Thayar.
"THEVARAM" that contains the devotional hymns of Sundarar,
Thirugnanasambandar and Thirunaavukkarasar, speak of 275 temples. One of them is
in Tirukkachur, a village in Kanchipuram district. As the `sthala viruksham' is
the banyan tree in "Thevaram" the place is referred to as Tirukkachur Aalakoil.
To secure nectar the Devas and Asuras churned the sea of milk with Mantramalai as
the churner and Vasuki as the rope. In order to avert the submergence of the
Malai (mountain), Lord Narayana assumed the form of a tortoise and prayed to Lord
Siva for enough strength to accomplish the task. Kacham means tortoise and the
prefix given to the names of places in the "Thevaram" made it Tirukkachur.
On Indra's command, the physicians of Devas - Aswini Devas - searched for medicinal
herbs on several mountains. Their attempt at this hill was also a failure. At last
when they prayed to the Lord and Goddess of the hill, they found the herbs. So the
God came to be known as Marundeeswarar. For having dispelled the ignorance that did
not allow them to know the places where the herbs were concealed earlier, the Goddess
came to be called as Irulneeki Thayar. When Sundarar went to Tirukkachur from
Tirukkazhukundram, he stayed with the devotees outside the temple, hungry and tired.
God, assuming the human form, went from house to house as a Brahmin begging for food
for His beloved devotee and others too. The job done, He vanished.
Sundarar realised what had happened and sang a hymn in praise of God's compassion, and the
Lord came to be called Iranthitta Easwarar or Virunthitta Easwarar.
DEVANATHASWAMY TEMPLE is situated about 3
km West of Singaperumal Koil. Devanathaswamy resides in a
village named Chettipunniyam. The presiding deity, Devanathaswamy,
sits facing East. Though a Sannidhi for Varadaraja Perumal
has been in this temple for the last 350 years, it was only
in 1848, thanks to the efforts of Sirasdar Rao Sahib Rangachar
that the idol of Devanathaswamy of Tiruvendipuram was installed
in this temple. The year was 1848; the day Friday; month Vaigasi;
date 22; and the star Makam, from that day, daily pooja is
offered to this deity. Devanathaswamy did not come alone but
along with Hayagriva. These facts are corroborated by the
Government Gazette records of the South Arcot Government,
of the same year. The idols of Thayar, Sridevi, Boodevi and
Andal were installed after this. The idols of Sri Rama, Sita,
Lakshmana and Hanuman were brought to Vandalur in Chennai,
in the year 1868, on Oct 5, by Mudumbai Ramaswamy Iyengar,
from the Tanjore Palace. When Ramaswamy Iyengar migrated to
Bangalore, he had all these Gods installed in the Devanathaswamy
Temple, since Chettipunniyam, was his native village. There
is a separate sanctum for Sri Rama in this temple. It has
to be mentioned here that the first Mysore Dewan Veeravalli
Rangachar (1831-1883) also hailed from this village.
The villagers conduct the 'Thiruparvettai' festival in a grand manner, on a Sunday in the month of
'Thai' (Jan 15 - Feb 15), every year. The temple trust organises a number of utsavs like Sri jayanthi,
Special Thai velli poojas, Sri Vaikunta Ekadasi, Sri Vedanta Desikan Sathumurai, Vaigasi magam and Deepa
(Lights) utsavam. The devotees also conduct many utsavs - adhyayana utsav, Vijaya dasami, Adi Pooram,
Panguni Uthiram, Udayavar Saathumurai and Sri Ramanavami. Another famous celebration was Sri Devanathaswamy's
centenary (100 years in this temple), which was celebrated for 10 days, in grand style.
After a very long time, in 1993, the Ashtabandhana Maha Samprokshanam was performed on May 17. The
devotees of the village say, as far as their knowledge goes, no Samprokshanam had been done in the last
100 years. This famous temple is under the HR and CE board. An officer has been appointed to manage
the affairs of the temple. A five-member committee oversees the functioning of the temple. Sri C V Palani
is the temple trustee, at present. The Hayagriva in the temple, it is believed, bestows upon the devotees,
education, wealth and progress in all walks of life. The temple is open between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. and between
4 p.m. and 7 p.m. everyday. The temple owns about 55 acres of agricultural land and a big grove, in the village.
|Sri Agora Veerabadhra|
Hanumanthapuram has an ancient temple where the main deity is Sri Agora Veerabadhra Swamy and Goddess Sri Kaalikaambal. Hanumanthapuram is a very remote village near Singaperumal Koil.
Dhakshan (son of Sri Brahma and father of Sri Parvathi) performed a Yagnya. He had invited all Devas and Gods for his Yagnya except Lord Shiva, as he always disliked him because Lord Shiva married his daughter Sri Parvathi without his knowledge.
But as per the rituals, he has to invite Lord Shiva, without which the Yagnya won't be complete. But Dhakshan ignored Lord Shiva and also was not willing to give due offerings to Him in his Yagnya.
Knowing this Lord Shiva got furious and sent Lord Ganesha to stop Dhakshan's Yagnya, but Lord Ganesha couldn't succeed, followed by Lord Muruga who again couldn't defeat Dhakshan to stop his Yagnya. Finally, He created a power from the droplets of his sweat and gave it a form and named him Veerabadhrar. Veerabadhrar, who was created from Lord Shiva's sweat, was assigned to defeat Dhakshan and stop his Yagnya.
Goddess Parvathi, who was also equally upset with Dhakshan's attitude, created a Shakthi called Kaali and made her accompany Veerabadhrar in his mission to defeat Dhakshan. Sri Veerabadhrar went and chopped Dhakshan's head with ease. From then Dhakshan didn't have head at all. Later, with the prayers of Dhakshan's wife, Sri Veerabadhrar blessed him with the head of a goat and hence Dhakshan is seen with the human body and goat's head.
It is believed that Dhakshan was defeated by Sri Veerabadhrar in this place.
Sri Veerabadhrar is seen facing north, holding many weapons. Goddess Sri Kaali is present just outside the sanctum, facing east. Sri Kaali is believed to be more powerful here. This village also has a separate temple for Sri Kaaliamman.
Nandhi is seen facing south towards the Lord. This very unusual temple attracts lots of devotees during new moon days and full moon days. This place is said to cure people with mental illness. Many mentally challenged people are brought here and prayers are offered to Sri Agora Veerabadhrar. It is believed that Sri Agora Veerabadhrar blesses them to recover from their mental illness.
There is a beautiful temple pond in front of the temple, where many devotees take bath before visiting the temple. Also many bring mentally challenged people and bathe them here.
Betel leafed garland is offered to the Lord here. It is said that this place was once filled with betel leaf creepers. Betel leaf garland is considered auspicious for Sri Agora Veerabadhra Swamy here.
The age of this temple is not known to many, even to the temple priests. There are no archeological evidences or whatsoever to date this temple. But the priests say that they have been serving this temple for 12 generations and the legend of this place is passed on to them word of mouth ancestrally.
There is an old stone inscription in this temple, belonging to 1921 where one Chinnappa Nayakkar of Ayanpuram (Ayanavaram), Chennai has donated his shop sites to the temple to be used for performing atleast one time pooja everyday.
On full moon days, Archanas are performed to Sri Veerabadhrar here throughout the night.
Special buses are running at every 30 minutes on full moon days for the devotees.