was formerly a capital of the kings of Vijayanagara, after their
defeat by the Deccan sultanates at Battle of Talikota in 1565. In
1639 a local governor or Nayak, subject to these kings, granted
a piece of coastal land to the British East India Company where
Fort St George now stands, which became the nucleus of the city
of Madras. The fortress at Chengalpattu, built by the Vijayanagara
kings in the 16th century, was of strategic importance, owing to
its swampy surroundings and the lake that flanked its side.
Chengalpattu was taken by the French in 1751, and was retaken in 1752 by Robert Clive, after which
it proved of great strategic advantage to the British, especially when Lally failed to capture the
fortress in his advance on Madras.
During the wars of the British with Hyder Ali of Mysore it withstood his assault, and afforded a
refuge to the nearby residents; in 1780, after the defeat of Colonel W. Baillie, the army of Sir
Hector Munro took refuge there. By 1900 the town was noted for its manufacture of pottery, and was
a local market center, especially of the rice trade. The surrounding district was home to cotton and
silk weaving, indigo dyeing, tanneries, and a cigar factory, and extensive salt manufacturing took
place along the coast.
In the past Chingleput was established as a district of the Madras Presidency in 1765. The administrative
headquarters were at Saidapet. The area of the district was 3079 sq. mi., and the population was 1,312,122 in 1901.
In 1999, the district was split into the districts of Kanchipuram and Thiruvallur.
The foremost attraction of anyone who passes through Chengalpattu is the Kolavai lake. It is the Second
Largest lake in the Kanchipuram District.
Coordinates: 12.7° N 79.98° E
|Nearest Railway Juction
|Nearest Zoological Park
||Vandalur 24 Kms
|Nearest Bird Sanitary
||Vedanthangal 23 Kms
||Chennai 50 Kms
||Chennai 64 Kms
North Side Mahindra City 5 KMS
As of 2001 India census, Chengalpattu had a population of 62,631. Male to female
ratio is very close to 1. The average literacy rate here is 81%, higher than the
national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 84% and female literacy of 77%.